Tuesday, September 29, 2009

A Position to Take

Jesus was God Himself. He knew we were all wrong. He knew our sight to be limited, corrupted, falsified and worldy. He knew He was above all. He knew He was right...and...righteous. He was God.

Yet, he took the position of the cross. He knelt to take it from people he knew were sinful - limited, corrupted, falsified, and worldly. He knew He was God, that He could rise above it. He knew He was right...and...righteous. But, he picked up the cross and walked to Calvary without saying a word. He simply WAS God. He didn't have to explain His existence or defend it or celebrate himself. He allowed Himself simply to be God...the God who served all of humanity and who alone knew the best and right way.

Everyday my frustration grows with myself and others. We take all kinds of positions. We pump ourselves up. We talk about ourselves. We defend ourselves. And for those of us in ministry (volunteer or vocational), we strive to be seen as someone God NEEDS in His business. I witnessed this today (though I could probably see it in my own life daily if I ever stopped to look) and it left a bad taste in my mouth. Actually, it left my heart all ripped up. What are we trying to do? Surely not follow Jesus. You see, Jesus is walking to the cross...with all of our crap on his shoulders...and if it was me, I would be cursing everyone I walked by about the BURDEN they were putting on my shoulders, the burden I didn't deserve. Jesus didn't say a word, though. You see, Jesus is kneeling to take it and we stand to proclaim our greatness. Jesus is allowing the Father to work so His work can be celebrated. We, instead, try to do the work for Him and celebrate our own victories.

Jesus was fully God, and somehow He took a position of humility. I am fully human and have no righteousness of myself, yet I want to be lifted up. I think we can all take a lesson from Jesus today. The one man who didn't deserve the Cross, took it, while we walk around like God's gift to the world.

God, teach me the way of the Cross.

No comments:

Post a Comment