Sunday, September 27, 2009

Skatepark = New World

Yesterday, Michael asked me to go with him to a skate competition at our local skate park to watch some of his students compete. I knew these were students of his that have little support and might not have anyone else there watching, so we decided to go. Little did I know that was just what God had in mind.

My heart was touched and lifted at the skatepark. Upon entering the bleachers, I quickly entered a culture other than my own...other than my own high school experience...other than my youth group...other than what I was used to. Typically, when I had encountered this culture before, it was a subgroup that I wasn't overwhelmingly surrounded by at once. But, I had just entered their world.

Immediately, the 4th and 5th grade boys around me where dropping the "F" bomb like it was an article, not a verb or adjetive. Fourteen-year-old girls behind me lit up, and I'm not sure everything they were smoking was legal...even for an 18-year-old. In an event sponsored by the Parks and Recreation, kids were jumping over fences and ruling the roost. As I sat there, I allowed myself to be educated by what was these kids' everyday world. I observed the 3-4 parents who actually showed up to watch their child compete and my heart broke.

God moved in me as I took it all in, though. I saw the innocent smile on that skater. I saw the tear in the eye of that one. I saw the insecurity written all over the face of another. I saw the macho-mask being worn by this one. I overheard one 11-year-0ld (or so) skater share, "I'm trying to keep my self-confidence up." This was their world, and this was their thing, and they were all out there...on little boards with 4 wheels, trying to make their mark in the world, trying to find their place, trying to be somebody. And not a bad way to be spending their time either.

But then I looked at the teenage boys running the show, the volunteers, the judges, the "role models" and my heart broke for the innocence of the younger boys. This is who they had to look up to. The kid who arrives talking about just waking up because of his ridiculous activities the night before and immediately asks his teenage girlfriend for a stoagie which he proceeds to smoke as he rides across the court. Role models who can't even have the decency to sit still while a younger boy is competing so instead, rides across the court while the kid is competing! Role models who show them what they need to do is wear the macho mask they have on...and they will fit in.

My heart was drawn to these kids, though...to somehow pour LIFE into them and LOVE. As I thought about our desire someday to open our home to kids without a home, I realized some of these kids could be the ones (or similiar) that could walk through our door. I realized as I sat on the bleacher that my life and love won't change their world. Michael or I won't be able to save their life or change their behavior necessarily or even get them on the right track. We won't be able to force them to accept what they hear at church or understand a God who they see as responsible for the difficulty in their life. But, through the power of Christ, we can encourage the innocence we see, wipe the tears they cry, build the confidence they have, and create a home where masks can be shed and love is felt and understood. We can allow God's spirit to create a place where they can belong and feel safe, maybe for the first time in their life. And maybe, just maybe some change will take place through God's power.

I think I will visit the skatepark more often.

2 comments:

  1. Betsy! ... will you pls write a book one day of all your experiences and thoughts? I'd like to read it.

    ReplyDelete