Psalm 139 is so familiar to me.
I was reading it tonight as a prayer.
"Oh Lord, you have searched me and know me. You know when I sit and when I rise. You perceive my thoughts from afar. You discern my going out and my lying down. You are familiar with all of my ways..."
Wait, I stopped.
I read that last line anew like I had never heard it before.
God is FAMILIAR with me and my ways. God doesn't just know what I do and what I say and what I think because He is omniscient. Yes, He is omniscient and does know all, but He also is FAMILIAR with me. I am familiar with someone because of the time I am with them and the way I pay attention to them and am in their presence. This familiarity aspect threw me off. Sure, God is with me all the time. But, He's not just hanging out around me like the air I breathe. He is like intently, personally being with in a way that leads Him to be FAMILIAR with my ways. In other words, my GOD knows how I am. He knows what I'm like. He knows what will bother me, encourage me, sadden me, depress me, uplift me. He knows how I am. Powerful to me.
"Before a word is on my tongue you know it completely, O Lord."
Talk about finishing sentences! God is SO familiar, He knows what I am going to say, wanting to say, choosing not to say. He is so familiar.
"You hem me in - behind and before; you have laid your hand upon me. Such knowledge is TOO wonderful for me, too lofty for me to attain....For you created my inmost being, you knit me together...I am fearfully and wonderfully made..."
Thank You, God.
"Do I hate those who hate you?..." (or am I too busy judging the ones who love you? Ouch.)
"Search me O God and know my heart, test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and LEAD me in the way everlasting."
Afterall, God, you really do know me best.
No comments:
Post a Comment